CMSB 2018 will be held in Brno, at Faculty of Informatics, Masaryk University.
Arriving by plane
Brno Airport (BRQ) is the closest airport, reachable with a ~20-minute journey from Hlavní nádraží (Main Railway Station) by express bus E76. The airport is served by regular Ryanair flights to London-Stansted and regular flights to Munich. Other close airports are Vienna (VIE), Bratislava (BTS), and Prague (PRG). To get from there see the options below.
Arriving by train
Brno is well situated for arriving by train. Near major cities are Vienna, Bratislava, and Prague, which are 90,90,150-minute train journey away from Brno, respectively. Tickets for the journey can be bought at Czech Railways or Regiojet. The final destination is Brno Hlavní Nádraží Station, from there take the frequent tram 1 in direction Řečkovice and get off at the Hrnčířská station (~ 10 min.), which is 5 minutes walking away from the conference venue.
Arriving by bus
From Vienna, Bratislava, and Prague, Brno is reachable by several private bus services. We recommend the Regiojet service since it offers regular connections from Vienna and Prague airports. Please note that due to the high number of travellers the tickets need to be bought several days in advance. The tickets are flexible so they can be easily rebooked online in case of changes in your travel plans.
Arriving by car
Brno is situated at the meeting point of motorways Dl (Prague-Brno) and D2 (Brno-Bratislava). Both make part of the trans-European road system, which links France with Ukraine (E50) and Scandinavia with the Balkans (E65). Other major roads lead northeast to Poland and the Baltic states and south to Austria and Italy. Brno is about 120 minutes drive from Vienna or 150 minutes drive from Prague. Use exit 190 when leaving the motorway from Prague.
Trams and walking are normally the best ways to get around. The conference venue can be easily reached by public transport – tram 1, tram 6, from Hrnčířská and trolley 32 from Botanická. For every journey, you need to buy a 2-zone full-fare ticket and mark it in the tram/bus immediately after you get on. You can use either 20,- CZK ticket (travel up to 15mins without transfer) or 25,- CZK (travel up to 60mins allowing transfer). The tickets can be bought at the yellow vending machines and in tobacco shops. More information about transport in Brno can be found here. In general, we do not recommend driving a car in Brno due to lack of parking lots and possibility of delays in rush hours.
The hotels with guaranteed reduced conference rate have to be booked before 31st August (registration has to be done directly with the hotel, when booking a room please always mention the code “CMSB 2018″):
- Hotel Continental (originally built during normalisation, local owners, renovated quite recently, provides a good standard for reasonable price and good proximity to the venue; a limited number of rooms is available for the conference; 1350 CZK per night in a standard single room, superior (1700 CZK) and double rooms also available; for reservation please write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com)
- Hotel International (built during normalisation, now owned by Best Western, gives a bit more expensive option with 2730 CZK per night in a standard single room, double rooms also available; for reservation please write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Hotel Slavia (an old building from Habsburg monarchy times, local owners, current rooms design has a specific touch of nineties, placed in the city center; from 1085 CZK for a single room, double rooms also available; for reservation please write an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Other hotels available in walking proximity to the CMSB venue are:
Hotels in the historical city centre (the venue is easily reachable by trams or trolleys):
Other hotels with good tradition but longer distance from the venue:
Hostels & B&Bs:
- Hostel Mitte (great small hostel offering standard rooms of a very good quality, located in a unique historical building in the heart of city centre)
- B&B Placzek (small pension in the city centre, a renovated building with a cafe)
- Hostel Fléda (very cheap hostel with a music club, close to the venue, recommended to students, music can be loud until early morning)
Alternative options for accommodation can be found on https://www.booking.com/.
If travelling from outside of EU/UK, please note you may need a visa to enter Czech Republic. Please contact the Czech embassy in your residing country to make sure of your visa requirements.
If you need a visa, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible as it may take a long time to be issued.
We will provide an invitation letter to every registered participant of CMSB 2018. To apply for a letter, please contact us.
- welcome reception at the Augustinian Abbey Garden on Wednesday (map)
- visit to Gregor Johann Mendel museum (during the welcome reception)
- conference dinner in SunSet restaurant on Thursday (map)